I’m not YellowPosted: January 17, 2010
But my new skirt is! I bought this beautiful mustard yellow thin cord fabric at the discount fabric store, they had about a yard left not on the bolt so i bought it up pondering the posability of it being turned into a straight skirt. Being that i am fast approaching my 3rd trimester i knew i needed to figure out how to make it a maternity skirt, so i also bought some yellow jersey to make a belly band.
So what I did to make it is….
1) fold the fabric in half lengthwise.
2) trimmed it slightly longer than the desired length so that I knew I wold have room to play with the hem.
3) I then stitched the open side closed.
4) Next I took my Jersey and cut a piece the size of the belly band on my favorite maternity jeans.
5) I then stitched my jersey to the skirt. To do this I placed the two right sides together (Jersey into the cord) and stitched all the way around. I also lined up the seam of the jersey with the seam on the skirt. as I stitched around I stretched the jersey so it would be the same size as the cord.
6) I think hemmed the bottom of the skirt and zig zag stitched the top of the Jersey.
And then I was done and have a great maternity skirt and once baby is here I’ll probably take in the back seam so that i can still wear it. 🙂
for good measure here is a picture of the belly 🙂 (please put aside the dirtiness of my mirror!!!) and if your interested in the necklace I’m wearing you can check it out here.